What is a cookie?
A cookie It is a text file harmless It is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The utility of cookie is that the web is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know cookies they have been used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor opens windows pop-up.
What information does a cookie?
The cookies They do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they keep are of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of contents, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, but your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse Internet Explorer and try to navigate through the same website with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it is really associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies exist?
- cookies técnicas: Son las más elementales y permiten, entre otras cosas, saber cuándo está navegando un humano o una aplicación automatizada, cuándo navega un usuario anónimo y uno registrado, tareas básicas para el funcionamiento de cualquier web dinámica.
- cookies of analysis: They collect information about the type of navigation they are doing, the sections they use the most, products consulted, time band of use, language, etc.
- cookies advertising: They show advertising based on your navigation, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and those of third parties?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the from third parties are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I deactivate cookies?
So that you understand the scope that can have to deactivate cookies we show you some examples:
- You can not share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to their personal preferences, as is often the case in online stores.
- You can not access the personal area of that website, such as My account, or My profile or My orders.
- Online stores: It will be impossible to make purchases online, they will have to be telephone or visiting the physical store if you have it.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographical preferences as a time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult for the website to be competitive.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- It will not be possible to show sectorized advertising, which will reduce the advertising income of the web.
Can you eliminate cookies?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To eliminate cookies of a website you must go to the configuration of your browser and there you can search the associated to the domain in question and proceed to its removal.
Configuration of cookies for the most popular browsers
Here's how to access a cookie browser set Chrome. Note: these steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking on the personalization icon that appears at the top right.
- You will see different sections, click on the option Show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content settings.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list of all the cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier for you to find the cookies of a certain domain enter partially or totally the address in the field Search cookies.
- After completing this filter, one or more lines will appear on the screen with the cookies of the requested web. Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed with its elimination.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Firefox follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options or preferences according to your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- In Record choose Use a custom configuration for history.
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies, you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Safari for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of block you want to make.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Safari for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy & Security, you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of block you want to make.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser for devices Android follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press the key Menu, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option Accept cookies to activate or deactivate the box.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser for devices Windows Phone follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer, then Plus, then Configuration
- Now you can activate or deactivate the box Allow cookies.